Roses are used from the ancient days for its fragrance, beauty and medicinal values. They are known for their diverse applications. Roses are the queen of flowers and the symbol of love and beauty. In olden days, queens take the milk bath with roses in them. It moisturized their skin and gave a supple soft skin with a pleasant body fragrance. In the market, we come across different brands of rose powder which can be used for the beauty routine. But the problem is that they add additives for attractive colour and fragrance which are harmful to us. Do you know that we can prepare the rose petal powder all by ourselves without any additives? So, what can we do with them? Let’s dive in to know more.
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no additional cost to you.
Medicinal values of roses:
First, let us know the medicinal values of the roses.
- Roses increases blood circulation, treats and prevents constipation and cures depression.
- It heals the wounds when its powder applied to them.
- You can find them in the eye drops because of its antiseptic property. It relieves you from eye burning sensation.
- They also treat sore throats and ulcers.
- Due to its pleasant smell, its oil is used in the treatment of insomnia.
Rose petal powder for skin and hair:
Benefits of Rose petal powder to the skin:
Roses are rich in vitamin C, B and K and thus results in smooth and flawless skin tone when one regularly applied. Let’s look into them in detail to know more benefits of rose petal powder to our skin and hair.
The antioxidant property in the rose powder discard any skin irritation and soothes your skin.
You may also like Homemade Moisturizers for dry skin in winter
It’s a great substitute of commercial scrubs or exfoliators which may have plastic beads in it for the better exfoliation. These beads get into the ocean and pollute it. They are very tiny which makes them impossible to separate from the water. It is quite alarming. Hence, it is always wise to choose natural and homemade ones than commercial ones.
- Take equal amounts of rose powder and gram flour (1:1).
- Add a little amount of water to make it a paste.
- Apply this mixture in the circular motion and leave it from 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once it’s dried completely, wash off the face with cold water. While washing, make sure to scrub your face gently in the circular motion to get rid of the dead skin.
By this way, we can remove the clogged pores. But don’t over-exfoliate because we need our dead skin to prevent our skin from harmful radiations like UV rays. One should not exfoliate their skin daily. Once in a week will be more than good.
Check this out: How landfills affect our environment?
Acts as a natural cleanser:
Rose powder removes dirt and excess oil from the pores and helps you to get rid of the bacteria with the help of its anti-bacterial property.
Check out our Zero waste valentine’s day ideas
The rose petal powder treats burns and plays the role of natural coolant for your skin.
Prevents ageing and wrinkles:
The anti-ageing property in the rose powder prevents you from getting wrinkles and also it protects you from free radicals when you applied while you’re heading out.
Discard dark circles:
It not only acts as a coolant to your skin but also get rid of the dark circles around your eyes.
Check out my post: Get rid of Dark circles – Natural & Zero waste way!
Evens skin tone:
We know that the rose water can be used as a natural toner. By regular application of rose powder, it fights pigmentation and restores your skin to its original tone.
Applying rose petal powder on a daily basis improves your complexion to the next level. It gives you a pinkish white soft skin.
Rose petal face & body powder:
The commercial body powder is not quite safe to use. That’s why we are going for the alternative which is completely natural. How the rose powder helps us here? Well, the application of rose petal powder controls your excessive sweat and provides you with a pleasant smell. Here is the recipe.
- Rose petal powder – 1/2 cup
- Corn starch – 1/2 cup
- Rice flour – 1/2 cup
- Essential oil (Rose or Lavender)- 8 to 10 drops (optional)
Mix all the 3 ingredients thoroughly and add the essential oil in drops and blend them till the oil is completely absorbed by the mixture.
Store it in the airtight container. Use like any other body powder.
Uses of Rose petal powder to the hair:
Other than skin benefits, rose powder plays a major role in maintaining healthy hair.
- The anti-inflammatory property in the roses helps to get rid of the scalp dryness and itchiness.
- It maintains the pH of the scalp.
- Increases the blood flow to the hair roots which promotes new hair growth.
Check this out: Zero waste hair care routine – Minimalism
Rose petal powder hair mask:
- Rose petal powder – 1/4 cup
- Amla powder – 1/4 cup
- Coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Mix both rose and amla powder.
- Make it a paste by adding coconut milk to it with no lumps.
- Apply this mixture from the roots to the tips of your hair and leave it for half an hour.
- Wash your hair with a natural shampoo.
Your rough and dry hair will turn into a silky, smooth and shiny hair.
You may also read Zero Waste Bath Powder Recipe
Can we use rose powder daily?
Since we’re preparing our rose powder by ourselves, we know there will be no additives in it. So, it’s safe to use them on a daily basis.
Homemade natural Rose petal powder blush:
Take 2 tablespoons of rose powder with 1 tablespoon of corn starch and mix them together. That’s it, your pink blush is ready. The resultant blush colour will be based on the colour of your roses.
Rose powder in the lip balm:
Rose petal powder with other ingredients for the best results – 3 types of Rose powder facemask:
Our rose petal powder can be mixed with other natural ingredients to maximize the results.
Rose powder with Aloe vera:
- Cut a fresh aloe vera leaf from the plant and squeeze the gel from it.
- Take a tablespoon of aloe vera juice/ gel and mix them with 1 spoon of rose petal powder.
- Apply it on your face gently in a circular motion.
- Wash it after 15 minutes in the cold water.
It has numerous benefits from treating hair, dark circles, acne-prone skin, burns, sunburns, digestive problems and the list goes on. They are rich in vitamin A, C, E and seven of the 8 amino acids. By drinking aloe vera juice, one can treat constipation, lower blood sugar and have gorgeous hair and flawless rejuvenating skin. So, this combo works perfectly to your dull skin with wrinkles.
Rose powder with milk:
- Dilute a tablespoon of rose petal powder with few drops of milk till it turns to a paste-like consistency.
- Apply this mixture from 15 to 20 minutes and wash out with cold water.
The reason for washing with cold water is to close the pores of the skin. The milk has loads of benefits to the skin. It has vitamin A, D, B6, B12, calcium, potassium, magnesium, lactic acid and selenium. All these will fight acne, dull, uneven skin and wrinkles. It protects your skin from damage and gives radiant to your skin. When rose powder combined with milk, it hydrates your skin and gets rid of the dryness.
Rose powder with orange peel powder:
- Mix equal quantities of rose petal and orange peel powder.
- Dilute the mix in water and apply it on your face for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Get rid of the mask completely with cold water and pat dry your skin.
This mask helps to brighten your skin since both are high in Vitamin C (which is vital for collagen production and thus improves elasticity and makes your skin look young and fresh). And as that of the orange, we know it gives a fair complexion and that’s why people who are trying to get a fair complexion eats or drinks lots of oranges as a fruit or juice.
Try to use any of these facemasks daily or thrice a week for best results. However, do a patch test before going for any remedy.
Look at the diverse features of the rose petal powder! We’re reducing a large amount of trash just by using this single ingredient. You can replace your cleanser, toner, scrubs, face masks, blush, body powder, deodorant and the list goes on. Here you are not only avoiding the harsh chemicals used in them but also the usage of plastics used to pack them which are really hard to recycle. As I said before, there are some possibilities that your beauty products also may have the microbeads which are nothing but microplastics. So, with this DIY we are not only saving us from various skin cancers but also the ocean animals and the environment.
How to choose the roses for our DIY rose powder?
- Always choose the ones which are free from pesticides. If you are not sure about that, no problem. Wash well before using the roses for the recipe.
- If you’re growing them on your own, no worries about the chemical fertilizers. But make sure to pluck them at the early morning for the best results.
- Red roses will give you a pink tint. So, if you need that pink colour for your blush & DIY lip balm, go for the dark red ones. The pink ones also give a pale shade only.
DIY Rose petal powder recipe:
Finally, here is the recipe which you’ve asked for!
- Wash the rose petals thoroughly with water to remove any residues.
- Dry them in the shady place as the sun drying will absorb its goodnesses.
- Once it is completely dried, grind them in the blender to a fine powder.
- Store this powder in an airtight container.
The colour of the powder depends on the colour of the roses you’ve used. Hence don’t worry about the colour. Just look at the benefits that roses have to offer your skin and hair.
Check out Homemade deodorant – Complete natural
Bonus recipe: DIY Rosewater
A natural chemical-free toner!
- Take 8 to 10 fresh and clean roses. Wash them before you use.
- Pluck the petals and put them in a bowl of water.
- Boil them by closing the lid and check occasionally to see whether the colour of the roses completely faded or not.
- Once they are faded, off the stove and cool down to room temperature then drain the liquid.
- Store it in the airtight container in the refrigerator. So, when applying it on the face and around eyes, it soothes and relieves you from the stress after a long day at work.
What are you going to do with the DIY rose petal powder? Share your unique ideas with us!
You may also read: