Today we are going to take a look at how to make our own Toothpowder which is homemade, natural, healthy to our teeth. The main 2 reasons for making our own tooth powder are
- The commercial toothpaste comes with the packing(tube) made of plastic and aluminium
- The toothpaste contains chemicals which are harmful to our body.
A study shows that our toothpaste contains 18mg of nicotine which is equal to the amount found in 9 cigarettes. Nicotine damages our DNA type that increases the risk of cancer.
And you may think, we can recycle those tubes. But according to the EPA, the recycling rate is only 34.7%. The problem is everyone doesn’t have the opportunity to recycle. And the people who have that facility are failing to do because of the difficulties in recycling the toothpaste tube. Based upon statistics, nearly 1 billion toothpaste tubes end in the landfills annually. So it is wise to reduce or use what we have instead of recycling.
The second issue is the toothpaste has lots of chemicals such as diethanolamine, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Fluoride, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Triclosan. Even though these chemicals help to prevent us from tooth decay and other oral issues they give us some adverse effects. So it is wise to use home-made tooth powder.
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no additional cost to you.
Note: I’m not giving you any medical advice here. So, if this toothpowder doesn’t suit you, feel free to switch to your regular toothpowder or toothpaste. Your health is your priority.
Toothpaste Vs Toothpowder:
- Some studies show that the toothpowder is more efficient in removing plaque when compared to the toothpaste.
- Since the toothpaste has the fluoride which is toxic to our health and the toothpowder doesn’t, it is good to switch to the tooth powder which is only made of natural ingredients.
- The toothpowder will come for months and it costs very low when comparing to the commercial toothpaste.
Common oral issues:
- Sensitive teeth
- Mouth sores
- Broken or cracked teeth
- Bad breath
- Gum disease
- Oral cancer
These are some common oral issues. By using the home-made tooth powder we can prevent or reduce our risks from getting these dental problems.
- Cardamom powder – 1 tablespoon
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tablespoon
- Clove powder – 1 tablespoon
- Liquorice root powder – 1 tablespoon
- Mint leaves – 1 tablespoon (dried &powdered)
- Neem leaves – 1 tablespoon (dried &powdered)
- Rock salt – 1 tablespoon (powdered)
- Cardamom, cinnamon, clove and rock salt should be powdered separately using a blender.
- Dry the neem leaves and mint leaves in the room temperature. It’ll take for 3 to 4 days. Note: Avoid drying them under the sunlight as they tend to lose their nutrients when exposed to it.
- You can get the liquorice root powder from the stores.
- Once they are dried well, use a blender to powder them separately.
- Now take 1 tablespoon from each powder and mix them well.
- If you’re preparing in larger quantity just increase the number of tablespoons in each ingredient.
- If your toothpowder tastes more bitter add more liquorice powder to it.
- Your tooth powder is now ready to use.
- Don’t worry about storage. Store the toothpowder in an air-tight container, it’ll come for months.
Benefits of each ingredient:
- Using the cardamom in the recipe helps us to protect our teeth from the cavities.
- It removes bad breath.
- Cardamom fights bacteria in our mouth due to its antibacterial effects.
- The cinnamon has antimicrobial effects which prevent us from tooth decay.
- It kills bacteria and discards mouth odour.
- Using cinnamon to our recipe is good for our gums too.
- Few studies show that it also relieves us from toothache.
- The clove treats gum diseases.
- It acts as an antiseptic agent and aids to get rid of the gum pain.
- Due to its anti-inflammatory property, it also reduces the toothache.
- The antibacterial effect in the cloves combats the bad breath.
Liquorice root powder:
- Liquorice root is great for our oral issues.
- They treat tooth decay and enhances the health of both gum and teeth.
- In addition to that, it adds a sweet taste to your toothpowder so the bitterness from the neem leaves will be nullified.
- The anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties in the mint maintain our oral hygiene.
- Mint plays the role of natural freshener which treats the odour.
- Adding mint to the recipe results in healthier teeth and gums.
- Neem leaves are used to treat mouth sores, toothache and tooth decay.
- It prevents us from gum diseases, bleeding and cavities.
- In ancient India, our ancestors use neem sticks to brush their teeth. Even though it bitters a lot it has all the properties which benefit our teeth. Our ancestors weren’t faced with any oral issues for their lifetime. So, it is wise to look back once and make some good decisions.
- Finally, to whiten your teeth, rock salt will be there for you.
- Rock salt fights bacteria and relieves you from toothache.
How to brush your teeth with our home-made toothpowder?
- First, rinse your mouth with water.
- Wet your brush and take a small amount of the powder in your hand.
- Dip your brush in the powder and brush your teeth as you normally do.
- You can even use your forefinger instead of the brush.
- Try to massage your gums with this tooth powder using your hand after brushing your teeth. This will improve the health of your gums.
- When you’re done rinse your mouth with water.
So, what do you think guys? Give it a shot and share your experience. And don’t forget to share your own tooth powder recipe if you have one.
You may also read DIY Zero Waste Bath PowderFollow me in social media: