Wondering what to do with the leftover orange peels? I’m here to help! Today we’re gonna add a new step to our beauty regime for a bright glowing skin by using orange peel powder. Wait wait… Not only that we’re going to use it on our hair too, to get long lustrous hair. Are you excited?
Also, I’ve answered the FAQs at the bottom so keep reading!
DISCLOSURE: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I get a commission if you decide to make a purchase through my links, at no additional cost to you.
How to choose the oranges for your DIY orange peel powder?
Make sure you’re taking quality oranges because you’re going to apply them to your skin and hair. If the peels of the oranges don’t look good or if the oranges got spoiled by any chance don’t use them to make our orange powder instead just compost them.
Also, make sure to use your hands to remove the peels from the oranges so that by any chance you won’t remove the pith (the white part between the skin and fruit) of the orange. This is because the orange skin or peel has more nutrients than the fruit itself.
Read: Composting at home | How to make compost?
DIY Orange Peel Powder recipe:
- Wash the orange peels thoroughly with water after eating your oranges!!! This is done in order to remove the pesticides on them. You can also wash the oranges before removing the peels from them using any of the mentioned methods here to get rid of the pesticides completely.
- Dry them under the sunlight. It usually takes 3 to 5 days to get a crisp texture. If it’s easy to break the peels then your orange peels are ready for the next step.
- Once it is completely dried, grind them in the blender to a fine powder.
- Store this powder in an airtight container.
Your orange peel powder is ready!
You only get a tint of the orange color most of the time so don’t worry about it. But the smell will be great!!! You’ll get a nice orange fragrance.
By any chance, if your orange peels are too bright you may get a good bright color.
Read: 8 ways to remove the pesticides from fruits and vegetables
Let’s make an impact!
The diverse uses of the orange peel powder aid us to reduce a huge amount of trash by getting rid of the commercial products. Here we’re not only avoiding the plastic packaging of those market products but also the harsh chemicals added to them.
Let’s save us and the sea animals by following these natural remedies.
Okay now let’s get into the benefits of the orange peel powder for the skin and the hair.
Read: Zero waste skincare routine for healthy glowing skin
Benefits of orange powder to the skin:
Oranges are rich in vitamin C, calcium thiamine, folate, and potassium which give us beautiful bright skin.
Do you know the orange peels have more vitamin C content than the fruit itself?
Vitamin C is vital for your skin health and it may also help you to protect your skin from harsh Ultraviolet rays.
The calcium in them helps to regenerate your skin by renewing your skin cells. Let’s look into them in detail to know more benefits of orange powder to our skin and hair.
Yes, it whitens your skin naturally. As I said before due to the high presence of Vitamin C, the orange peels improve your overall complexion. And that’s why people who are trying to get a fair complexion eat a lot of oranges and have orange juice on a regular basis!
Orange powder pack for skin whitening:
Here I’ve included 2 types of orange peel powder face packs for skin whitening. One with honey & lemon juice and another one with rose powder. Choose the one which works for you.
Orange powder pack with honey:
- Orange peel powder – 1 teaspoon
- Honey – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon Juice – Few drops
- Mix the orange peel powder and honey and few drops of lemon juice.
- Make it a paste and apply it to your skin and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Wash your skin with normal water.
Orange powder with rose powder:
- Mix equal quantities of rose petal powder and orange peel powder.
- Dilute this mixture in water and apply it to your face for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Get rid of the pack completely with cold water and pat dry your skin.
This pack helps to brighten your skin since both the roses and oranges are rich in Vitamin C (which is vital for collagen production and thus improves elasticity and makes your skin look young and fresh).
Try to use any of these face packs daily or thrice a week for best results. However, do a patch test before going for any remedy.
Read: Rose petal powder – DIY, Benefits for skin and hair
Get rid of Suntan:
As it whitens the skin it also helps to remove the suntan. Here’s the Orange peel powder pack to remove the suntan.
- Orange peel powder – 1 teaspoon
- Rice powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric – 1/2 teaspoon
- Milk – As required
- Mix the orange peel powder, rice powder, and turmeric.
- Make it a paste by adding the milk to it with no lumps.
- Apply this mixture on your skin in a circular motion and leave it for 20 minutes
- Wash your skin with cold or room temperature water.
Do this on a daily basis to see effective results.
Removes blackheads and whiteheads:
Use the following orange powder mask to get rid of the blackheads and whiteheads. Before applying this mask, wash your face with warm water to open up the pores. So that it can treat your skin issues deeply.
- Orange peel powder – 1 teaspoon
- Multani Mitti or Fuller’s earth – 1 teaspoon
- Rosewater – As required
- Mix both the orange powder and Fuller’s Earth.
- Make it a paste by adding the rose water to it with no lumps.
- Apply this on the affected areas of your skin and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Wash your face with cold or room temperature water.
Get rid of the acne scars:
The orange peel powder not only removes the acne scars but also fades blemishes and dark spots.
- Take orange peel powder and add the olive oil to it to make it a paste.
- Apply this on the acne scars and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Wash your face with room-temperature water.
By using these face packs you’re not only discarding acne scars and lighten your skin tone but also gives the following results!
Prevents aging and wrinkles:
The antioxidant property in the oranges slows down the aging process by helping your body to produce collagen and elastin and thus preventing you from wrinkles and free radicals causing damage to your skin. When regularly used, the orange peel powder makes your skin young and supple.
It naturally exfoliates the skin due to the high content of citric acid in them. The orange peel powder also removes dirt and toxins from the skin.
Acts as a moisturizer:
The orange powder moisturizes the skin because of the potassium in it. This is vital to keep our skin healthy.
Uses of Orange powder to the hair:
Orange peel powder not only gives you healthy skin but also maintains the health of your hair. It helps to get rid of dandruff, gives shine and a healthier look to your hair.
Orange powder with homemade shampoo:
- Mix the orange powder to your homemade shampoo in the ratio of 1:3
- And scrub your scalp and hair as usual with this mixture
It gives a nice fragrance to your hair while removing the dirt from it.
Orange powder with hair oil:
- Add a 1/2 teaspoon of orange peel powder to your regular hair oil and boil it for 1 minute.
- After it gets warm, apply it from the scalp to the roots of the hair.
This will make your hair shiny and gives a little bounce to it.
Read: Zero waste hair care routine – Minimalism
Orange powder with curd:
- Take 2 to 3 tablespoons of orange peel powder and add the required amount of curd to make it a paste.
- Apply this paste on your scalp to get rid of dandruff. Keep this mixture for 30 minutes and wash it with your homemade shampoo.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Orange Peel Powder:
Can we use orange powder on a daily basis?
- For oily skin, yes, you can use it on a daily basis.
- But use it only twice or thrice a week for normal and dry skin types.
What did you use to grind the orange peels?
Just the blender.
Does grinding the orange peels leave my blender dirty?
No, it doesn’t. Dry the orange peels completely so that the final powder comes in the texture of powder scrub. And so you won’t be left with any residues on your blender. After the process, just clean the blender with the all-purpose cleaner – bio enzyme.
Can we use mortal to grind the orange peels?
No, because you won’t get that powder texture to add it in your masks. But if you can able to get to that texture go for it! But remember it’s a time-consuming process.
Can we use the orange peels which turned brown?
No, you shouldn’t. The skin discoloration is a sign that the orange skin has been attacked by citrus rust mites which are invisible to the naked eye. So, avoid using them and try to grind the orange peels within a few days of buying the oranges to avoid discoloration.
Can we use the orange peels for teeth whitening?
The answer is no. The acidic nature of the oranges may cause damage to the teeth’ enamel. So, never use the orange peels to whiten your teeth.
How do you preserve the orange powder?
Simply storing the orange peel powder in the airtight container will do, it comes for months!
So, storing them in an airtight container and placing them in a cool place away from the sunlight makes them come for 2 to 3 years. But the fact is it doesn’t come that long because you’ll finish them within months by seeing the stunning results on your skin and hair!!!
How do you use the orange powder as a bodypack?
Just mix the orange peel powder with the gram flour and turmeric and use this mixture to clean your body instead of using the soap.
If you’d like to add more ingredients, Check out my DIY Orange peels Zero Waste Bath Powder.
How do you reuse your orange peels for your beauty regime? Share your ideas in the comments!
You may also read:
Rose petal powder – DIY, Benefits for skin and hair
Zero Waste Bath Powder Recipe with orange powder
Zero waste skincare routine for a healthy glowing skin
Zero waste hair care routine – Minimalism
Get rid of dark circles – Natural & Zero waste way!
Homemade Moisturizers for dry skin in winter
DIY Lip Balm: Natural & Zero Waste
Homemade deodorant – Complete natural
DIY Air Fresheners – Zero Waste & Homemade
Natural mosquito repellents that actually work!
Sustainable Alternatives to Tissues
How to use soap nuts for laundry? | 3 different ways
Bio enzyme-All purpose cleaner (DIY, FAQ & Zero Waste)
11 tips to conserve water at your home
5 Eco-Friendly Food Storage Containers & Cookware
8 ways to remove the pesticides from fruits and vegetables
Zero waste living | Beginner’s Guide
Zero waste school supplies and tips
Sustainable fashion Guide | Top 9 Ethical clothing brands
Zero waste Christmas – A sustainability guide
Zero waste valentine’s day ideas
10 easy Zero waste swaps you can make today
Composting at home | How to make compost?
E-waste: Reuse, Repair, Recycle – towards zero waste
How the landfills affect our environment?
What do you do with old plastic? | Zero waste living
Tips to turn waste into something useful at home